Staveleigh Medical Centre: 0161 304 8009

Ring our main switchboard number on 0161 304 8009 and follow the instructions, or call into reception to book an appointment or register for the online appointment booking service. You will be offered the first available routine appointment. This may be some time ahead. We have appointment times that are blocked in advance in order for the Doctors to triage appointments, this enables us to be able to offer an increased number of urgent appointments should this become necessary.

We have a range of routine and emergency surgeries available each day both in the morning and afternoon.

Please tell us if more than one person in the family needs to be seen. We can give you a longer appointment if necessary.

You can also register for our on-line access by calling in to the practice but please bring ID with you for the reception staff to enable registration.

We are also able to offer our patients appointments via the Tameside and Glossop GP HUB service. Local GPs work together to provide bookable routine evening and weekend appointments for people who may find it difficult to see their doctor or nurse during normal office hours.

These appointments can be to see a Doctor, Nurse or Health Care Assistant.

These can not be booked directly on line by the public, if you ask our receptionists  they can tell you when the appointments are and will be able to book your appointment for you.

There are four HUBs, Stalybridge, Ashton, Hyde and Glossop.

Home Visits

Whilst we encourage our patients to come to the surgery, where we have the proper equipment and facilities available, we do appreciate this is not always possible. In this respect, if you do need a home visit, you can help us by calling reception  and letting us know if your condition is urgent.

Each home visit request is risk assessed by a doctor. Generally home visits are reserved for patients who are housebound or who are too ill . Your GP will only visit you at home if they think that your medical condition requires it and will also decide how urgently a visit is needed. Please bear this in mind and be prepared to provide suitable details to enable the doctor to schedule house calls.

You can also be visited at home by a community nurse if you are referred by your GP. You should also be visited at home by a health visitor if you have recently had a baby or if you are newly registered with a GP and have a child under five years.

Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)

Font Resize